Edward Frederick James (only uses the “F” to distinguish himself from the million other Edward Jameses on the internet; never uses Frederick; answers to Edward; hates “Ed”)
Born Solihull, Warwickshire (now West Midlands), 14 May 1947
Solihull School, 1955-1965. Read Modern History at St John’s College, Oxford, 1965-1968. Postgraduate student at the Institute of Archaeology, Oxford, 1968-1970, supervised by Professor C.F.C. Hawkes. Awarded D.Phil in 1975, for a thesis entitled ‘South-West Gaul from the fifth to the eighth century: the contribution of archaeology’. MA (Oxon) 1975.
University College, Dublin. Assistant Lecturer in the Department of Medieval History, 1970-76; College Lecturer in the Department of Medieval History, 1976-78. Associate member of Clare Hall, Cambridge, during sabbatical leave from UCD, 1976-77.
University of York. Lecturer in the Department of History, 1978-1986; Senior Lecturer, 1986-1995; Co-Director of the Centre for Medieval Studies, 1990-1992; sole Director of the Centre for Medieval Studies, 1992-1995.
University of Reading. Appointed to Chair of Medieval History, October 1995. Director of the Graduate Centre for Medieval Studies, 1999-2001.
Rutgers: The State University of New Jersey. Research Fellow in Medieval History, 2001-2003 (returning to post at Reading in June 2003).
University College Dublin. Appointed to the Chair of Medieval History, July 2004. Head of the School of History and Archives, August 2009-August 2011. Retired December 2011. Appointed Emeritus Professor of Medieval History.